Sunday, October 11, 2009

Woolen Mill St Yarns - Phat Fiber Sample

Oh, merino, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love your soft hand, your well-defined crimp. I love the creamy rich colors you dye into. I love that you spin smoothly and easily into very fine singles, and yet plump back up with gorgeous loft. I love how you get sucked into the whirlpool of long-draw and just dream your way into yarn...

Yes, I do love merino. And really what's not to love? Of course this is straight up yummy superfine merino top and it is the best of the best. It is good to remember that this fiber will felt. So hand-wash only and be gentle!

Woolen Mill St Yarns - Phat Fiber Sample
There's not much to go into with spinning merino. I will say that this top lived up to its name of "superfine". There were no slubby bits or short cuts that jumped out at me. It drafted smoothly, evenly, and exactly as I would expect of a premium product. Called "Orcs and Goblins", the color was rich in shades of gray, tan, and a lovely clay red which made me think of the Lord of the Rings. I was able to spin 35+ yards of 2-ply lace from 6.6 grams.

No comments: