Monday, October 19, 2009

What to do with a yarn

And.. I'm done! It didn't take nearly as long to spin as I might have liked (because spinning this blend was glorious!). The blend was lovely to touch and spun out super-fine.

I've come to a point where for most things I spin with a purpose in mind. I buy a fiber for a project and attempt to spin it to specifications that would allow me to knit the intended object, or at the very least I figure out what I want to knit before I start spinning an impulse fiber purchase. But other times I fall in love with a sample because of its color or texture and can't help myself but splurge. These things tend to get spun up however I'm feeling at the time with no real plan. It's a lot of fun but the down-side is that I'm likely to end up with a very small amount of yarn that is lovely, but I have no way of making or getting more!

With this yarn I had a brief moment where I debated whether to put it together as a 2-ply or a 3-ply. I love 3-ply. It's round and shows stitches wonderfully. It also eats up a lot more of your precious spinning. For example I could have had around 200 yards of 2-ply lace. But 200 yards of lace is difficult to apply to a project. I'd like at least twice that to make it worth the effort of knitting up.

On the other hand, 3-ply reduces the yardage to 140 yards and that can be just as difficult to purpose. Still, I like that more and it's enough for fingerless mittens, or a neck-warming type cowl.. or Spiraluscious by Anne Hanson which just happens to be a pattern I've had in my queue since I first saw it.

I'm still debating. I have a lovely periwinkle dye that I think would be beautiful on this yarn, but the natural color glows and it's difficult to want to cover that up. I'm letting the idea percolate a little bit while I finish up all the other things I'm working on. I'm sure the right match will occur to me, eventually!

No comments: