Monday, July 26, 2010

Sometimes, you just gotta

Let's face it. We all know I'm a little... compulsive about my knitting. I have dropped back a 12-stitch cable over 20 rows in order to fix it (trust me, it was worth it!). I've done well to let go a little of this, especially when the error is not immediately obvious to the eye. After all, there is an art in the imperceptible fudge. But when I can see the problem, and I will see it every time I look at a project, well. That's gotta go.

Which is why I winced so hard when I noticed this little boo-boo. Apparently, I became slightly distracted at some point, and when I turned to knit back along my shawl, I forgot to slip one stitch at the start of the row. Fixing the last stitch on a row is an absolute bear.

Grandma's Ulmus Fix
Fear not, intrepid knitters! While I had resolved to let this little nub go, the solution occurred to me out of nowhere. Yes. Inspiration struck and it told me exactly how to deal with this little issue.

Pins.

Yes... pins! These are the answer to all the floppy, loopy little tangly ends. (That.. and the fact that a slipped-stitch edge is actually MUCH easier to fix than I thought. I can see where it might still be an issue to fix a garter-stitch edge. But really, back to the pins.)

Grandma's Ulmus Fix
With everything pinned out all nice and neat, those loops stay exactly where you think they ought to be. The pins also make sure that the next stitch in line doesn't borrow yarn and get loose and floppy. Not only that, but you can count on your edges to stay open in the correct orientation that you can simply hook them back up into place. Mine all had a nice half-twist when I started, and they all had that same half-twist when I was done. And never was I worried that this would run further down than I wanted it to or in any other way get out of hand.

Grandma's Ulmus Fix
Easy as pie. Easier, really. Pie can be pretty complicated. And don't get me started on the crust. After many dismal failures at following the instructions of very credible chefs, I just say "Thank you Pillsbury" and get the pre-made kind at the grocery store. But back to the edging. Put your hook through one loop. Insert it into the next loop. Remove pins. Pull the higher loop through the lower loop. Go on to the next loop. Do this until you get back to the top and slip that sucker onto your needles. Don't forget to put the pins back in your box (please!).

Grandma's Ulmus Fix
Finally, here we are at the end, and isn't it a pretty sight? No little obvious bumpies anywhere. This little exercise was totally worth it and I'm very, very happy.

No comments: