Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Round Dishcloth

Okay, I keep meaning to put this somewhere safe.. and I guess I'd better publish it if I ever want to reference it in the future.

When I work this, I usually link to this pattern in Ravelry's database. But that's not the pattern I started using. I originally received a print-out of some other pattern from my mother, and then I tinkered with it because it knit back an illogical (to me) number of stitches. And, I found I could skip the wrap-and-turn by slipping the first stitch on the way back.

My variation (on each new row, turn your work, even if you haven't knit all the way to the end of the row):

Cast on 15 stitches
Slip first stitch and knit 14 stitches back
Knit 3 sts, YO, k11 sts (leaves 1 stitch on right needle)
Slip first stitch and knit 14 stitches back
K3 sts, YO, k11 sts (leaves 2 stitches on right needle)
Slip first stitch and knit 14 stitches back
K3 sts, YO, k11 sts (leaves 3 stitches on right needle)
Slip first stitch and knit 14 stitches back
Cast off 3 sts, k10 sts (leaves 4 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 10 sts back
K3 sts, YO, k7 sts (leaves 5 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 10 sts back
K3 sts, YO, k7 sts (leaves 6 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 10 sts back
K3 sts, YO, k7 sts (leaves 7 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 10 sts back
Cast off 3 sts, k6 sts (leaves 8 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 6 sts back
K3 sts, YO, k3 sts (leaves 9 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 6 sts back
K3 sts, YO, k3 sts (leaves 10 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 6 sts back
K3 sts, YO, k3 sts (leaves 11 sts)
Slip first stitch and knit 6 sts back
Cast off 3 sts, k14 sts (leaves 0 sts on right needle)
* Slip first stitch and knit 14 sts back

Make pattern 6 total times and bind off on last row. Sew cast on and bind off together.

* On the final row I don't knit back here. Instead I pick up stitches from the cast-on (which I usually do using backwards-loop because that leaves me a nice and non-bulky edge to pick up), and do and equivalent of a 3-needle bind-off to join the first and last rows.

No comments: