Friday, January 22, 2010

While the husband's away..


Recent Spinning
Originally uploaded by Project Pictures
.. on a wheel I will play!

My gift to myself for this most recent business trip (four weeks!) was the rental of a spinning wheel from my LYS. For $60 I have a Schacht Ladybug for thirty days.

It's addictive!

For the most part I have been working my way through ounce samples of various fibers, spun in various methods depending on their preparation. For instance, the bottom three skeins in my picture are all woolen spun, which yields a very lofty, fuzzy yarn. Woolen yarns are softer and warmer, but don't tend to wear as well. Since the ends aren't trapped into a smooth strand, they pill more. The three on top are worsted-spun, which gives you a smoother yarn that is more likely to have good stitch definition.

There are two-ply, three-ply and even one singles yarn in the pile. And more coming!

I can see why people fall in love with their wheels.

2 comments:

Araignee said...

That is why I now own 2! I'd have more if I had the room and the money. I have always wanted a Ladybug. They are so darn cute.

4 weeks? Lucky you. This is my first Saturday ALONE and I was so excited that I got up at 6 and then totally wasted the morning cleaning. Must stop and go play with wool before you know who shows back up.

Geek Knitter said...

You are so doomed.