Saturday, January 23, 2010
I am really looking forward to giving these away. But until then, I've been enjoying showing them to anyone that would look! This is the first project I have done that I have planned every step of the way, starting with the fleece and working through to the knit object.
Egyptian Mittens by Tuulia Salmela. It is not in English, but Google Translate does a decent job with it. Luckily, I didn't really need to bother with the translation since the pattern is charted. Follow the chart, and everything is okay.
I added my own twist on things in general.
I rotated the pattern on the cuff so that the two mittens matched, rather than the wrist pattern on one showing on the back of the second.
I stopped the thumb early. I did knit the thumb as written, but it came out freakishly long and pointy. That's well enough, but I don't like all that fabric flopping around in the way.
I didn't plan on blocking them, but figured that could be a good thing. Let me assure you, blocking is an amazing thing. I cut forms out of a cardboard box and covered them with plastic bags to insert in the mittens as they dried after washing. It gave them a really professionally finished appearance.
All of these things combine to make a mitten of which I am quite proud.