Friday, June 6, 2008

Twin Magic Slippers


Magic Slippers
Originally uploaded by Project Pictures
A very good friend of mine saw my earlier baby slippers and asked very nicely if she couldn't get two pair for her friend, due to have twins in August. I, of course, said 'SURE!' and then promptly set about several other projects in the meantime (not the least of which was the Icosa Ball, and we all know how long THAT little project took!).

Fortunately, she's pretty relaxed about the whole thing, and I took pains to reassure her that they would be done.

However, I'm not sure these will work. Well, they'd work for me because the darned little slippers are cuter than a button! But they're not knit out of the sock yarn my friend bought specifically for the purpose. In fact, I might be taking that yarn back to the store if she likes these.


Magic Slippers
Originally uploaded by Project Pictures
Instead, these four slippers are knit out of the remnants of my Little Twisted Socks (eggplant colored Reynolds Soft Sea Wool) and the leftover green from the Icosa Ball (ShibuiKnits Sock yarn in the Seaweed colorway). I got the idea from the fact that the Shibui is nearly the exact same color as the yarn she picked out, but there clearly wasn't enough of it left to make four full booties. The textures of the two yarns are significantly different. The Reynolds is slightly heavier fingering, and possibly even sport weight. Still, the two mesh wonderfully, since the heavier yarn does well as the 'sole' of a shoe.

I'm going to poke around and try and find the perfect buttons to finish these little lovely things off!

No comments: