Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Devonian

Devonian by Project Pictures
Devonian, a photo by Project Pictures on Flickr.
I have to admit.. I've been hiding this one from you.

This pattern is Devonian, and it is part of an amazing new collection called The Sock Report.

Devonian is a pair of toe-up socks that were inspired by my mother, and I have to say that they are pretty special to me because of that.

I wanted to create something to match a shawl I knit for Mom earlier in the year. And it came to me that the increases that create a lovely triangular shawl could also be used to create the gusset increases in a sock.

Devonian
As you work your way from the toe of this sock, the lace starts as the gusset, and after you turn the heel it goes on to consume the entire leg. I particularly love the detail up the back of the leg where stockinette comes to a dainty point before flowing into the lace above.

Devonian
While the pictures above are of Devonian knit in Malabrigo Sock, I was able to work with String Theory's Caper yarn for The Sock Report. I can't recommend this yarn highly enough. String Theory dyes a beautiful yarn and I love working with it. It is a Merino/cashmere/nylon blend and wears very well (and is as delicious on your feet when you are done as it is in your hands while you knit it). Oh, yes.. I do like MCN sock yarn!

I love all the patterns in The Sock Report, and I hope you'll have time to stop by and check it out!

No comments: