Friday, February 12, 2010

Into the Whirled - SAL


Robin nest enhanced
Originally uploaded by micamynx
I'll admit, I'm a sucker for joining the group. When Cris, from Into the Whirled, asked us all to submit pictures for a six-month Spin-a-Long, I submitted a few, but really wasn't going to join in. After all I'm trying to spin DOWN my stash, not add to it.

But when the pictures came in, it was awfully hard to resist. The first of the three was this lovely photo of robin's eggs in a nest. How could I resist?

I imagined a roving mostly in shades of brown with a bit of white and blue thrown in. What Cris gave us was a gorgeous braid of shades of blue-green with some brown and white. I loved it!

With the wheel, the spinning went quickly. I agonized quite a bit over how to spin this. It's not my usual colors and not something I'd consider wearing often, but I lean to spinning lace-weight because I love doing it. Still, a shawl I wouldn't wear is a total waste and instead I spun with the intention of making fingering weight sock yarn. This means high-twist in the single, and high-twist upon plying to make a sturdy, springy yarn that will withstand the abrasion of wearing it in your shoes.

Into the Whirled - SAL
I also wanted the two socks to "match" so I split the braid down the middle and attempted to spin the two halves in an identical manner.

I was somewhat successful. I'm off by about 20 yards, which could be a lot. We'll see in the knitting. Either way I have two skeins of really lovely sock yarn!

No comments: